Would This Happen If I Were Driving A Mini-Van?

Someday I'm going to man-up and buy a new car-- most likely a mini-van-- and although it will be convenient and wonderful to have sliding doors, a cup-holder, heat, A/C, doors that lock, and other modern features, I'll miss the things you can't buy in a car: case in point, the other day I was walking out of the public library with my new books, and I was thinking about a million things and not paying very close attention to my surroundings and when I pulled on the door handle of my Jeep, I was surprised to find it locked-- and I rarely lock it because I don't have power locks-- so I pulled a bit harder, and then I was even more surprised when a face appeared in the window; after a moment it dawned on me-- this wasn't my Jeep! it was an identical 1993 forest green Jeep Cherokee with the same rust marks and peeling plastic trim, and so I shrugged my shoulders and gave my best "I'm not a lunatic smile" and pointed to my Jeep, which was parked next to the doppelganger Jeep and the guy inside, an older African American gent, followed my muted logic and laughed as well . . . two days later, I parked next to him again, and he rolled down his window and introduced himself to me-- his name is Bill and his Jeep has 187,000 miles on it and his wife had one that got 380,000 miles before she got into an accident on Industrial Avenue and since the mistaken identity incident we've talked several times as he's always reading in his car in the library parking lot (which is a bit odd, but maybe he's so attached to his Jeep that he prefers to sit inside his car rather than sit inside the library) and I doubt that anything like this will happen once I purchase a Toyota Sienna.

4 comments:

Kev said...

this guy drives a minivan: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/story/2012-02-16/piggy-back-bandit-high-school-teams-players/53116900/1

Anonymous said...

I see "bro-mance" in bloom! Love it!

Dave said...

it's very weird-- do i have to talk to him every time i see him?

Clarence said...

Have to??? Dave, you GET to talk to him.

This could be great. Let's face it, you could use the horizon-broadening and wisdom Bill could probably give you. This could be like Tuesdays with Morrie, minus the Lou Gehrig's and me crying like a schoolgirl on an airplane while reading a book. You should come equipped with one Jeep story every time you see him. Start with the Deathbox 2000 tales of driving to the Outer Banks with a wicked hangover.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.