Winter's Bone: Not Nearly As Depressing As The Blurb


Netflix describes Winter's Bone as an "unflinching noir drama set deep in the Ozarks," and because of that depressing description,  I kept moving it down my queue . . . avoiding it, though I had heard great things . . . but it wasn't depressing at all, in fact, seventeen year old Ree Dolly's quest for her meth-cooking dad-- who she needs to find (dead or alive) in order to save her homestead from the bail bondsman-- reminded me more of Lord of the Rings than Deliverance . . . the film is an an odyssey through the backwoods of the Ozarks, and instead of having to outwit Polyphemus, Ree has to out-fox Fat Milton: ten pots of deer stew out of ten.

1 comment:

Esoderic said...

I liked it too. I took me a while to warm up to it. At first I thought it was a bad attempt to capture white trash, but I ended up really liking it.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.