Victory?

My adult soccer team improved its record to 3-0 the other night, and once again we beat a team that was younger, more fit, and more skilled than us (they were a group of Irish and British ladies and lads, and the ladies were as good as the lads/ one of them nearly nailed me with a shot in the nads) but two minutes into the game I stepped in a hole and hyper-extended my already bad knee (on a super-excellent move that froze the opposition, you should have seen it, it was graceful and explosive, until I stepped in the hole and my knee buckled and I angrily kicked the ball out of bounds and hopped off the field, muttering things about turning forty) but after some stretching I was able to return and play (though rather lamely) but my knee injury paled in comparison to what happened at the end of the first half on a fairly innocuous play in the box . . . the opposing keeper came out for a through ball and his own defender pushed our player into him and he somehow knocked his head, either on our players knee or the ground, and the play concussed him and/or hurt his neck and he could barely speak and the EMT's had to be sent for and they back-boarded him and taped his head to the neck brace and the whole nine yards and then-- after that long ugly, awkward, delay-- we continued the game but they were a man down and things had soured as far as having some fun on a Wednesday and the injured player's dad went into goal (I think his sister rode in the ambulance to the hospital with him) but then he stomped out of goal when one of our players came close to him (but did not touch him) on a play in the box and part of me was wondering: what the hell am I doing out here when I could be at home having a beer and participating in some safe activity like watching TV or playing my guitar or shingling my roof.

4 comments:

Clarence said...

I dislocated my left pinky finger trying lamely to catch a football in the Atlantic Ocean, so now I can't really even play (my usual brand of bad) guitar. Aging sucks.

zman said...

The phrase "fairly innocuous play in the box" made me giggle but the sentence took a somber turn immediately thereafter.

Dave said...

i guess the moral is that is no "fairly innocuous play in the box."

jmacdaddio said...

For a moment I thought I was at the Battle of Antietam instead of a rec level soccer game. I was worried when one of their women tried to kick the ball out of my hands when I was in goal and I had smothered the ball. Luckily my dental insurance was paid up.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.