4/19/2009


While I was peeling a large ripe mango, my son Alex asked me: "What rhymes with mango?" and I impressed myself with the quantity and quality of my answer-- if you want to play along, stop reading now and see what you can come up with . . . I quickly said, "Durango-- a town in Colorado-- tango-- a Spanish dance-- Django (Reinhardt)-- a four fingered gypsy guitar player--and fandango, a movie website and also some kind of exotic dance" but Alex wasn't that impressed and he said "You forgot 'mango'" and laughed, perhaps thinking of the time Homer Simpson appreciated when his softball team rhymed "Homer" with "homer."

3 comments:

Whitney said...

It was actually Homer's bowling team. Same level of fitness among the athletes, though.

All but Homer: Come on, Homer! Come on, Homer! Pretend this is baseball and hit us a homer!

[Homer gets a strike; they cheer]

Homer: By the way, guys: rhyming "Homer" with "homer"? [kisses fingers]

Dave said...

i kind of thought it was the bowling team, but it just didn't seem right-- thanks for clarifying two allusions this week! inigo montoya was the other . . .

celine said...

i think you have an unpaid fact checker on your hands...whitney - make sure you reap the rewards. (is that reep or reap? - you would know)

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.