2/4/2009


So I'm at gymnastics, and Alex's class has begun, but Ian's class doesn't start for another ten minutes and so he's playing on the mat and the balance beam and this other little kid (who is going to have an Earnest Hemingway complex, he wears long braided blond hair and Ian always calls him a girl) spits a big loogey onto the mat and his mom, a butch Rutgers psychology professor who was busy grading her blue books, tells him that it's rude and she would prefer him not to spit, but she doesn't wipe it up-- and it's right on the mat where everybody walks, not in the corner or something, and it's not like this is a kid's play gym or something, there's college and high school gymnasts walking around as well-- and I'm sitting there hating the fact that I care about these things now, but I'm also thinking that if my barefoot kid steps in your kid's spit, I'm going to punch you in the face-- and if I had any balls I would have went to the bathroom and got a paper towel and wiped it up but instead when Ian said, "That kid spit there" I said, "Yeah, that's gross-- don't step in it" and I'm wondering if I'm going insane now that I'm a parent, but isn't it common courtesy to wipe up any bodily fluids your kid produces?

3 comments:

Al DePantsdowno said...

I won’t comment on if your going insane or not, but you could have asked someone who worked there if they could give you something to clean it with. Then they should offer to clean it for you. If they don’t, then you may want to ask yourself what else they're not cleaning? I bet if this woman was at the park, you would have had no problem confronting her directly. Instead, you question her sexuality and that of her son in your blog and think that you’re being clever. Have you considered counseling?

Dave said...

i was considering counseling, but instead i'm just taking heed of the comments on the blog.

Whitney said...

"I would have went"????

You teach English, for fuck's sake. English as a First Language, I presume.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.