An Orange in Iowa Was Once a Miracle


This will be my last post on this blog (and in fact, my last interaction with the Internet) because I have been reading Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression, a memoir by Mildred Armstrong Kalish; I'm so enthralled with the camaraderie, self-reliance, and rugged civility of these farmers that I have decided to go to Iowa by covered wagon during the Great Depression and start a farm so that my spoiled suburban children learn to treat their own maladies with spider webs and vinegar, slaughter a chicken by age six, and enjoy the hell out of an orange.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm up to page 100 and waiting patiently for this book to become interesting. what the eff was the new york times book review thinking? i am getting really pissed.

Dave said...

i'm almost finished-- i love it! just skip the middle portion with all the recipes.

A New Sentence Every Day, Hand Crafted from the Finest Corinthian Leather.